The healthcare team at Mather Hospital relies on the cooperation of patients and their families. By working together, we achieve the greatest outcomes.
To contribute to this effort, you can:
- Designate Someone to Ask About Your Condition: Due to privacy regulations, patient information can only be shared with others with the patient’s permission. We ask that you clearly designate a family member or friend with whom we may share your information.
- Get to Know Your Team: Learn your nurse’s name and ask about the doctor who will coordinate your care and any other members of your healthcare team. Ask for business cards if appropriate.
- Protect Your Valuables: Please send home money, jewelry and other valuables rather than keep them in your hospital room. You may want to keep a small amount of change available for newspapers, etc. The Hospital is not responsible for the loss of valuables. To prevent the loss of personal items such as eyeglasses, hearing aids or dentures, please do not place them on food trays or on the bed where they may get mixed with the linens.
- Ask for Communication Assistance: For patients who speak limited English or are hearing impaired, a language interpreter will be provided at no cost. Notify your nurse if you require assistance, or contact the Nurse Manager or Evening/Night Administrator at ext. 5212. Our staff will also make every reasonable effort to meet religious/cultural needs and expectations. Please tell the nursing staff upon admission about any religious/cultural mandates or requisites.
- Appoint a Healthcare Proxy: The New York Healthcare Proxy Law allows you to appoint someone you trust – for example, a family member or close friend – to make healthcare decisions for you if you lose the ability to make decisions yourself. By appointing a healthcare agent, you can make sure that your wishes are followed.