About Your Surgery
All patients scheduled for any procedure or surgery at Mather Hospital must register through the Pre-Admitting Department for that procedure or surgery. To do so, call 631-476-2807 between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m. Monday through Friday. You will be asked to leave a message should you call outside those hours.
Depending on a patient’s medical history, pre-surgical testing may be required. (If you'd like to complete your Pre-Surgical Assessment form prior to visiting the hospital, you may access a printable PDF of the form here.) Patients should discuss this testing with their physician prior to any procedure. If pre-surgical testing is required, patients are asked to make an appointment for the testing at the same time they register for the procedure. This appointment must take place 21 days prior to the procedure date.
The Pre-Surgical Testing (PST) Department is located on the main level of the Cody Ambulatory and Inpatient Surgical Pavilion and can be reached at 631-476-2807.
Day of Surgery
Patients are asked to call 631-476-2717 between 3 and 7 p.m. the last business day before surgery to verify the arrival time.
Although guidelines will be reviewed during the Pre-Surgical Testing appointment, patients are advised of the following:
- No eating or drinking of any liquid (including water), food, hard candy, chewing tobacco, or gum after midnight prior to the scheduled procedure unless otherwise directed by the Pre-Surgical Testing staff;
- No smoking after midnight;
- Check with physician as to whether taking required medications with a sip of water the morning of surgery is permitted;
- Do not bring money, valuables, or jewelry (inclusive of body jewelry and piercing), on the day of surgery;
- Check with physician for any other special instructions;
- For ambulatory procedures and surgeries, all patients must have transportation and a responsible adult to accompany them home.